Sunday, May 10, 2015

Declan's new bedtime routine

(Brian here)

Hospital sleeping :)
About four weeks ago, leading up to his 6 month birthday, Declan came down with the dreaded 6-month sleep regression. For about two weeks, Declan woke up about every hour or two throughout the night. We couldn't tell if he was hungry, over-tired, had a dirty diaper, or just had separation anxiety. It was not a fun time in the Brown household. Shelley and I talked through different scenarios and thoughts and couldn't think of anything except it was just his 6-month sleep regression.
Then it clicked. Super Dad and Super Mom had to step up their games. We got very serious about Declan's bedtime routine. I took on Declan's routine, in the same manner I did with Lincoln. Lots of laughs and splashes in the tub, and lots of smiles before bed. After tub, I would dress Declan, give him a bottle, take him into his room, red a story, sing to him and put him in his crib. The first night or two, he fought and cried, but he soon realized that this was his routine and we were always there in case he needed us. On those times when he was just being anxious about being away, Shelley and I let him cry.


Flash forward to this week, and we are really having great nights. I put Declan down in his crib between 6:30 and 6:45, shortly before Lincoln goes down at 7, and he wakes once to eat between 2-3am and wakes up between 6-7am for the day. All in all, Shelley and I couldn't be happier. We have time to hang out, talk, relax and spend time with our hands free.


We've read that babies first organize their nighttime sleep first, and then organize their daytime sleep. That is starting to come true. His daytime naps are becoming a little more consistent. He is taking longer naps in his crib and starting to form patterns. When he wakes up around 6, he'll usually sleep for an hour or more from about 7:30 a.m., once again around 11:30-12 and then again around 3:30 or 4:00 p.m. This pattern very closely mirrors Lincoln's pattern at 6 months too.
2 weeks old
Hopefully he continues to form and strengthen his sleep patterns and allow for his mom and dad to catch up on some much needed sleep!




No comments: