Monday, August 19, 2013

Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots..

(Brian here...)

Shelley and I had a pretty nice Saturday. She went to the mall with her friend Sarah, and I had lunch with my friend Kearney at the best bar in Chicago - Gaslight Bar and Grille - where I think I still get the 50% employee discount – SCORE!  Anyway, I had 3 beers there, which is the most I’ve had to drink in Chicago since Lincoln’s birth 9 weeks ago. SCORE!

Lincoln very relaxed with a fellow Irish man
Lincoln on the other hand had 4 shots today.  Did he end up singing karaoke and dancing on the bar like his dad would have? Not quite, but I bet he would have rather been watching his dad sing (although being hugely embarrassed) than at the doctor’s office getting his 2-month shots. Don’t get me wrong, Lincoln was a champion. Two needles in each thigh within about 30-seconds is a ton for anyone. He did cry, but let me explain…

Lincoln was weighed and measured and was eagerly awaiting his vaccines. He was happy and even a little giddy on the extremely comfortable piece of 1-ply paper on the Doctor’s table. Then the nurse came in.  It was really hard to watch his face go through all of the following emotions:  The first shot hit him and his face went from “hey I’m cold but I’m chillin” to “I’m not sure I liked that” in about 2 seconds.  The second shot hit him and he went from “what the **** are you guys doing to me, you wankers!” to “THAT BLOODY HURT!!” in about 2 seconds. (PS: sometimes I like to think Lincoln curses in British.).  His face got bright red and you could see the agony in his face, which was pretty heartbreaking.   I don’t really remember shots 3 and 4 (as is usually the case), but I’m pretty sure he didn’t like them either.  Little tears streamed down his face and he screamed/cried. It was a new cry for us to hear - a cry of pain, not the usual cries of hunger, boredom, and dad - you smell - and that was the hardest part.

Shelley soothed him after the nurse was finished.  We are hopeful he has forgotten all about his shots. I’m hoping he goes almost 21 years before taking more, but somehow I don’t think that’s realistic.

Before and after...

(Shelley here)

Dad was so excited to write about the shots, but he failed to mention the stats of the appointment which is the part I really want to remember (and forget all about those terrible, heart wrenching s.h.o.t.s.).  Linc did great with his growth - he is now 12 pounds and 5 ounces and 23 1/4 inches.  He is a little above average in both his height and weight.  The really proud moment was when Dr. Cathy put him on his tummy and Linc seemed to know exactly what to do.  He took a deep breath, got his hands steady and pushed up high with a huge smile.  Dr. Cathy admired his strong neck, and Lincoln smiled and cooed back all the while pushing up high.  I mentioned that Linc consistently rolls from his tummy to his back (as documented four posts down), and then Dr. Cathy told us our child was gifted.  Well, she did not really use those words but she did say that is a four month skill and to be on the lookout for a possible early crawler and olympic swimmer (maybe she just said early crawler).  We were very proud.

On another note - Linc had on the cutest outfit to show off at his appointment...


But, it was spoiled by a major blowout minutes before we walked out the front door - at least we were not in the car!  He wore a little onsie instead (easy on and off at the doctor's is always a good idea).  Buuuut, after the trauma of the shots, he also blew through that outfit at the doctor's office.  He went home in a polo romper and is now in his pajamas.  Yes, it is only five o'clock but we are pretty sure he is nursing his hangover from the shots.  He is recovering with the help of tylenol - exactly how we cure our hangovers from four shots too!

The below photos are from yesterday, but they make me smile.  I hope to see his smiley face in the morning after a good night sleep (a girl can wish!).


No comments: