Friday, December 14, 2012

NT Scan

Brian and I had an in-depth scan of the baby on December 11th (11 weeks, 4 days) at Chicago Fetal Natal Medicine.  The doctor was lovely and very informed.  He asked me a lot of questions about my health and previous ectopic.  I told him I was concerned about having the methotrexlate shot only six weeks before I conceived, and he did not seem like he thought it was a problem at all which totally put me at ease.

This appointment, he looked at everything!  He checked my cervix (looked great), my ovaries (right looked great, left looked fuzzy), and my uterus (right shape).  The baby is attached to the back of my uterus which is a good placement.  The heartbeat was strong (159), and we were able to hear it for a second or two before he turned it off!  He was able to show the blood flow from the umbilical cord which was awesome, and he said the amount of fluid in the uterus was appropriate.  He measured the baby, and the baby measured at 11 weeks and 2 days which is fine, a couple days shy of my LMP.  He also measured the fluid at the back of the neck which is the NT fluid.  This number is to be under 3, if I understand correctly, to be considered normal.  They will use this fluid number, combined with blood results to give me a ratio of the baby having Downs Syndrome.  He seemed like everything looked great and really no concerns, but we will have the final test results early next week.

It was awesome to spend so much time watching the baby!  The doctor even tapped on my belly, and the baby went crazy!  I can only imagine what the baby is doing when the kindergarteners run in here each morning.  We will have a follow-up scan with him in late January, but will see Dr. Diakos before then.

Below are some pictures from the scan.  They are not my favorite shots, but they are the baby at 11 weeks.  PS - I already Googled - all babies have that weird hump on their head at 11 weeks in the 3d shots.  It will eventually go away!!






No comments: