Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Saga Continues...

This past Monday I went in for those hcg levels.  The results were ready in 24 hours and sent to my ob/gyn.  I get a call on Tuesday from my doctor, and she says I need to go to the emergency room right that moment because my levels were not at zero but were actually higher than they were at my last appointment - 1240.  So, once again, I go to the er and have a blood test and an internal ultrasound.  My levels were even higher and there was a "mass" on my left side.  I was given the choice to have surgery right then to remove the baby and possibly the fallopian tube or wait two days to see what my hormones did to determine if I could take medicine to dissolve the pregnancy.  I decided to wait so I went back today to get my blood run.  My blood levels were even higher.  Luckily Brian was with me because we were immediately whisked upstairs, admitted to the hospital, and I was given a large dose of a chemotherapy medicine that targets the baby cells in my fallopian tube and (hopefully) terminates it before the tube bursts.

This is called an ectopic pregnancy (when the baby implants somewhere other than your uterus) and happens in less than 1% of all pregnancies.  My doctor said she has no idea why this happened to us - my uterus, tubes, blood work, etc. all look great.  The baby appeared to be healthy on the scan and growing so no chromosomal issues.  My ob/gyn said she has not seen an ectopic case for five years, and these cases can be fatal to the mother if the tube ruptures and internal bleeding takes place.  I am not out of the woods yet - I have another test on Tuesday for my blood levels.  If they are dropping dramatically, then the medicine is working and I am fine. For some patients, the first dose of medicine does not work.  If not, then one more dose of the medicine or surgery to remove the "mass". 

I was supposed to go to Florida tonight for some RandR, but the doctors would not let me go.  We are supposed to go to Mexico next week, but right now that trip is on hold until we see the blood results on Tuesday.  Luckily, my mother is flying in this weekend because Brian is out of town starting tonight for the weekend.

Crazy story but hopefully the end is in sight.  The craziest thing is that my first question was - when can we try again?  I have hope and faith that we will be parents and hopefully soon!!  I am home now and feel fine other than a little sore from the injection site.  This weekend may be a bit physically tough, but emotionally I feel like I am in a good place.

I am so thankful for the support of my friends and family as well as my husband who made me laugh through the adventurous stay in the hospital today (and for not laughing when I had to drop my pants for the shot in my tush :).

Crossing my fingers for Mexico in a week - although I can't drink and have to stay out of the sun due to the high dose of potent medicine, I think we still need the vacation!!!

No comments: