Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Break Trip To Florida


When planning a trip I always get so anxious about the details - flying with two small children by myself, renting a car, sleeping in different beds, and meals (oh, the meal time drama).  Those little and big details get in the way of planning the fun or thinking about the fun to be had and this trip was no different.  But, life did not disappoint, and I think the boys had one of the best trips to Florida ever!  They traveled amazingly well despite the late flights and different sleeping arrangements.  They ate well and Declan especially loved my mother's cooking.  And, most importantly - they had so much fun with their grandparents.  Lincoln was "on fire" most days and nights - talking up a storm, being exceptionally friendly and cute, and actually being flexible.  Declan LOVED his one-on-one time with his grandparents during his early morning risings and his short naps.  I was able to leave them with Gaga and Baba and they didn't freak out at all.

Some stand-out memories of the trip:

1.  On the way to Mom and Dad's place late Friday night, Lincoln was wide awake in the back seat at 10pm.  I told him he could close his eyes and he said - no Mama.  Me so happy.

2.  The beach.  The boys spent almost an hour sitting still and digging.  No fighting.  No pushing.  No yelling.  Just digging.  Then Lincoln found the shells and he threw the shells in the water with mom and Declan kept digging.  Quietly. :)














3.  The pool.  The boys loved splashing in the pool and Lincoln asked to go each day.



4.  My favorite memory was the baseball game with my dad.  We talked about it for so long, and I do not think Lincoln really understood what was going to happen.  Because of a much needed nap, we chose to go early and leave early so Lincoln could sleep after the game.  When we first arrived, Lincoln stood behind homeplate and just stared.  He was in awe of the warm-ups, throwing, hitting, and the field.  Then we found the playground where he played with an older boy.  We went to get some ice cream, and then a very nice man struck up a conversation with us.  When he found out that it was Lincoln's first ever baseball game he gave him a ball that a player had just hit out.  Lincoln then ate his ice cream and smushed ants.  We sat for the actual game, and Linc lasted half an inning before he said he was all done.  I knew he wouldn't sit long, but we have talked about that game every day since.  He has slept with his ball, and I know it will be a memory that he holds on to for a long time.  What a special moment for Baba (who LOVES baseball) to share with his first grandson!





5.  Feeding the turtles.  Lincoln LOVED taking the golf cart down to the canal to feed the turtles.  He would throw the bread and wait for the turtles to eat it.  If he saw any birds he would yell at them to go away.  He went down one night with my mom, and they claim they saw an alligator - I am not sure I believe them :)  I handed Linc a piece of bread today to munch on in the grocery cart and his response was - No, mama....turtles!

We can not wait to visit again and continue to make Florida memories!






No comments: