Thursday, July 9, 2015

Family Vacation to Florida!


Beautiful family - minus Lincoln's pouty face (taking pictures is hard work when you are 2) and Declan was already asleep for the night
Sweety playing with Lincoln
We took another fabulous trip to Florida over the 4th of July!  The first half of the trip was spent in Fort Myers with Brian's family celebrating Gigi's and Sweety's birthdays with Brian's siblings.  We have not been together since Lincoln's first birthday, and it was so much fun to all be in the same city again!  Uncle Matty and Aunt Moe entertained the boys in the pool, and Uncle Matty was a pro at feeding Declan his lunch.  Lincoln and Gigi had a lot of fun with early morning splashes and Declan enjoyed cuddling with her during meals and in the pool.  Declan and Gigi bonded over live music during the 4th of July lunch too!

Our 4th of July photo did not go as planned, but here are my boys in all their post-nap happiness
Daddy snuggles
Uncle Matty and Aunt Moe!

water play - we lived in the pool during the week!
Brian and I also took the boys to a nearby children's museum while we were in Fort Myers.  We have made it a tradition to see the local children museum while on vacation.  I love watching the boys discover new places and things, and it is fun for Brian and me to see something new on trips too!  My family usually incorporated history, the beach or pool and gambling into our trips :), and I like having a tradition to follow too!  I am sure as the boys get older we will change our agenda, but for now the boys love the new experiences and our COSI membership usually gets us in free to reciprocal museums! 

One of Lincoln's dream coming true - driving a "digger" :)
Brian left on Sunday morning, and I drove up to my parents' house that morning.  We were there until Wednesday and had so much fun swimming in the pool, feeding the turtles in the canal, golf cart rides with Baba, and a trip to the mall and park.  After being in a pool for five days, Lincoln became quite comfortable splashing and going in up to his chin.  Declan seemed at ease in the pool, and one day he almost fell asleep on Gaga!  It was a quick couple of days, but Linc and Declan loved the extra attention and extra snuggles and play time with his grandparents.



That cat got a lot of love from the boys, especially Lincoln.  Linc would pet the cat and then kneel down in front of my dad so he could see right into the cat's eyes.  My dad and I laughed every time he did it - he was just so serious studying every feature of that gentle feline.


My children amaze me every day with what they learn, how they love with their whole hearts, and their connection to each other.  Lincoln can be a tough toddler and loves his routine, but every time we travel (knock on wood!) he shows us that he can be flexible.  He can sleep in different rooms with different sounds in a small pack and play.  His day can be completely turned upside down, but as long as he is with his family he will go with the flow.  Declan easily eats in different places with different people across from his high chair; he does struggle a bit more with sleeping in different locations but does eventually figure it out.  Children are resilient, and I will be telling myself that a lot over the next couple of months.

The last leg of the trip was set up to be the most challenging.  I had agonized about it for months and analyzed the logistics of traveling with two children who are two and under.  How do I board a plane with two kids, one who has to be carried, while carrying a car seat and my diaper bag and then install a car seat on an airplane BY MYSELF!  It was all further complicated when I realized that I lost my wallet the night before departure.  Deep breaths, patience, and a whole lot of kindness saved the day, and the boys did SOOOOO WELLLLLL going through security, the many questions from the TSA officers, waiting over two hours for our flight, and the flight itself.  We had our moments, but 99% of the time I had it under control.  We got a lot of smiles, some glares, and then a whole lot of compliments while leaving the flight.  When Brian asked me how it went, I honestly told him - "Not many people could have done what I just did with such ease, and I am proud of the boys and myself for having done it."  That is a true story :)


What a wonderful trip with so many memories for three generations.  We are one lucky family!

Lincoln's pants are falling down and the lighting is not awesome, but this a great picture of our love.  I am so rarely in photos, and I am thankful for Matt for taking this little snapshot of Linc and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great family time spent with all! We had fun and memories made ! Love GaGa and Ba Ba