Friday, October 4, 2013

I want that bird...

Lincoln is growing and learning so much this week at Ms. Norma's!  I think he is actually bigger today than he was on Monday, and he has a new trick to share too!  Ms. Norma thinks he is bigger too - he even ate 17 ounces today with one of those bottles being an eight ounce bottle.  She is also impressed with his mental development and thinks he is quite a smart baby.  I am sure she tells every new mother how smart and beautiful their little one is, but I think she actually believes it about Linc.  As heart wrenching it is to leave him every morning (does it ever get easier?!), at least I know he is in good hands at Ms. Norma's house.

Now, on to his new trick!  Lincoln has been batting hanging toys for a couple of weeks.  It seems more like his hand flails around until it hits something.  This week, I was playing with him on his play mat.  I watched him look at his hanging parrot and then bat at it.  This was the first time that I saw him actually want something and reach out to touch it.  I grabbed my phone to take a video, and this is what he did...

So smart! :)

Below are the comments that Ms. Norma wrote this week.  I plan on updating each Friday with his comments since this will become his baby book.  Feel free to skip to the bottom to see pictures if you are short on time :)

Monday:  Read here in a previous post about Linc's first day of day care

Tuesday:  Today I (Norma) read baby Lincoln a book with bright shiny colors.  I sat him with his back to me facing the book.  To my amazement he looked at the shiny pictures for a long time.  He also loves music time.  I sway to the music and hold him on my shoulder.  Baby Lincoln just relaxes and cuddles against me.  It is heaven (for me!).  We have not yet established a nap schedule except follow mom's suggestion that Lincoln naps about every two hours and eats before sleeping.  This, so far, is working well.  Lincoln did not complain about the 3-4 tummy times he had throughout the day.  We only leave him on his tummy for three to five minutes at a time.  As the weeks pass we will slowly increase the tummy time.  My favorite time other than dancing with Lincoln is "face time" during which he talks to me, coos, and smiles.  Lovely.

Wednesday:  Today we took Baby Lincoln to the playground with the big children.  He went in his stroller as happy as a lark.  We took him right after his early nap so he would be awake.  He looked all around and smiled at every happy face he saw.  I (Norma) walked all around the playground with him.  He wanted to see everything...all the bright colors and especially everything that moved.  On the way home he had a brief nap, 30 minutes.  I was hoping to get back before he napped so he could eat first, but the rocking of the stroller put him right out.

Thursday:  Lincoln has adjusted well to our little program.  He pretty much tells us when he is hungry (cries and frantically sucks his paci) or is tired (rubs his eyes and ear).  We are working on learning his language.  During his awake times, he is alert and eager to look around to see what is going on.  We could not go outside today because of the rain so Yasmin danced with Lincoln, Yesenia read books, and I walked around with Lincoln so he could watch the children at play.

Friday:  I (Norma) held a little colorful soft toy in front of Lincoln.  I was trying to encourage him to track the toy with his eyes.  He looked to the left but got distracted halfway across.  This is very good for a three-month-old baby!  To my surprise, as I slowly moved the toy across Lincoln's field of vision, he reached out and grabbed the toy with his left hand.  I thought he did not see it but he is a smart, little baby!

As a teacher, I write reports, give feedback to parents, and just have daily chatter with parents about their children.  I now completely understand the power of saying just one nice little thing about someone's child.  You, as a parent, take the compliment home with you and it makes you feel so good about yourself and your parenting skills.  These little notes make me smile and help me feel more secure in my choice.  He is learning; he is enjoying his new surroundings;  he is so loved there already.  It is very hard to leave him each day, and I am still not sure this is really the right choice (going back to work), but at least I know he is happy, smart, and surrounded by love.

He is getting soooooo big!



First week at day care in the books (10/4/13)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The boy has good genes; of course he is smart. Pretty soon you have to drop the "little" and just call him Link.