Monday, September 30, 2013

First Day of Day Care!

Lincoln went to his first day of day care today (September 30, 2014).  He is going to Ms. Norma's house at Rogers Park Home Care.  We drop him off around 7:15am and pick him up a little after 4pm each day.  I had a picture from his first day, but I looked horrible in it (puffy eyes are not attractive on anyone!) so I erased it.  I will have to take on this week when I can wear eye makeup with no worries!

I was so nervous this morning and overwhelmed with emotions as we prepared for my first day back to work and Linc's first day away from me.  Brian was a huge help and comfort just by being a presence and helping with the packing and logistics of the morning.  We got Linc there around 7:15am and handed him over to Ms. Norma.  The house was nice and quiet because we get there before the other children, and Linc was looking around and really calm.  I was confirming his schedule with Ms. Norma and then just had to say good-bye since I was essentially just killing time.  Once I turned away from Linc to walk out, I lost it.  I cried hard for just a bit and then calmed myself down for work.

I am proud of myself that I only called Norma twice.  I was super busy getting back into the swing of being a teacher and a mother to 20 other children that I barely had time to catch my breath.  Both times that I called Norma she said Linc was doing awesome!  He was eating, pooping and sleeping which is all we can ask for!  She commented a lot on how smiley he was and how he loves to watch the big kids and smile at them and the other adults.  She said his grasp is super strong and his neck strength is great, too.  She was even impressed that he pulled himself up to a standing position and his legs were super steady.  She kept commenting that he seems so much older than his actual age with his strength, "talking" and happy personality.

She writes little comments each day, and his "first day of school" comments read like this:

Lincoln is a very responsive baby.  He is alert and looks all around until he sees a face and then rewards us with beautiful smiles.  He talks a lot to us also.  That is, Lincoln makes little noises, babbling sounds, and cooing.  We have quite a bit of face time with him when he is awake.  He looks me right in the eyes and talks!  We also sway to music or baby dance and have tummy time on a blanket in the playroom so that he his neck muscles will be strengthened.  We move little toys in front of him so he can grasp them.  Lincoln already has a strong grasp and over the next few weeks will be able to purposefully reach out and grasp whatever he is interested in. We all have already fallen in love with Baby Lincoln.

It was so hard to leave Link (shout out to you, Grandpa :), but I am so thankful that Norma is a part of our lives.  I know he is truly cared for and his company is enjoyed in his new surroundings.  He is a part of a group and will learn from the big kids and be a happy spot for those around him.  The smile at the end of the day when I picked him proved to me that he still remembers me and that bond cannot be broken.  He is mine forever and we are lucky enough to have a place for him to learn and grow!

I'm so happy that he had a good day today.  I know there will be plenty of days where it is not as smooth or easy.  I know there will be days when he cries and maybe cries all day.  But, I also know he is in a place that will take care of him, be honest with me, and work with me to help Linc feel safe and secure.  The flip side of all of this:  I have to do it again tomorrow.  I am exhausted.  I cannot imagine going through these emotions five days a week.  But, we have the weekend together soon and will make the best of what's to come!

All smiles after his first day at Ms. Norma's! 

No comments: