Sunday, March 3, 2013

23 Weeks!

23 weeks - I can't believe how fast the last five or so months have flown by.  In the moment, it felt so slow - waiting for the 12 week mark, waiting for screening tests, waiting for ultrasounds.  Now it seems to fly by!  We are busy with work around the house, perfecting our registry, and taking time to enjoy each other before we add another member to our family.


How many weeks?  23 weeks (17 more to go!)

How do I feel?  I feel great!  I had a checkup on Tuesday, and Dr. Diakos was really happy with my growth.  I have put on a total of 10 pounds and my belly measures 22 inches.  It is crazy how the human body works - the belly measurement should align with how many weeks along you are.  I am right on target even though I feel huge!  My blood pressure was fine 90/60 and the baby's heartbeat was in the 140s.  It is always a nerve wracking time when she is looking for the heartbeat - the baby moves a lot - and I always fear the worst.  But, Dr. Diakos found it quickly and it was strong and healthy!

I also feel great because I had my first prenatal massage this week!  A parent at my school bought me a session at her favorite maternal yoga studio, and it was one of the best hours of my pregnancy!  The massage therapist worked out some big knots in my shoulders and said that she almost had to get the knife out to cut through the knots :).  I know I hold a lot of stress in my back and she could definitely tell. I already plan on going back in a month for another massage, and I want to check out their prenatal yoga classes.

Cravings?  I think because it is so cold outside I have been wanting a lot of rich food.  We went out to dinner this week, and I almost ordered the lamb shank - really, who am I?!  I never order dishes like that.  I did settle on the salmon, and it was still really tasty.  We also went to a wedding (more on that below), and I had short ribs.  I practically licked my plate clean.

(Brian here) With a Saturday off from Gaslight, it was a weekend of home improvement. On Saturday morning we started with Baby Brown's future play area, AKA "our sun porch", AKA the living room extension. Over the course of the week, I had boxed up all of our books and took apart our book shelf. Saturday morning, I brought it all downstairs to our storage area, where I played a mean game of tetris. With all of our books downstairs, I hung up curtains and cleaned up the sun porch. It looks great! Next was the nursery. After Shelley applied the painters tape, I went at it with the roller. I finished most of the room, at least where I could reach, so today is all about my Go Go Gadget legs so I can reach the ceiling (wish me luck!).  I am excited that my mom and sister, who are visiting this coming weekend, will get to see everything as it's going to be when Junior arrives.

Hanging the curtains in the "play room"
Finished play room - can't wait to fill up that toy box  (and have it overflowing, I am sure!)
Mom,  the marble top table still remains a special part of our home!
The chaos of the nursery - pushing everything to the middle of the room to begin the taping and painting 

(Shelley back)  After painting and moving things around all day on Saturday, we headed off to a wedding.  I had a terrible time trying to find something to wear.  I ordered two maternity dresses and sent both back - the fit was terrible and I felt like I looked way too matronly.  I borrowed three dresses from a friend, but they were too large in all of the wrong areas.  I dug in my closet and found a cocktail dress from about ten years ago.  It actually fit and accommodated the bump, but the top of it felt a little too risque for being five and a half months pregnant.  I ended up finding a dress last minute (at Target too - so cheap!) on Friday and it fit.  It is not maternity (actually an XS - do not want to brag or anything :) and it looked okay.  I was pretty self conscious when I was getting ready - I felt like it was my big debut.  I have not seen a lot of these friends since we announced, and I definitely did not want people to judge my bump.  But, once I got there I was comfortable and actually had some fun dancing and socializing.  I splurged and sipped on a soda while everyone else had their alcoholic drinks.  Weddings are more fun if you can have a glass of wine or two, but I held my own and even saw midnight!  We did not take any nice pictures of the two of us, but we did incorporate a mustache for Baby Brown...


The only pictures we took together all evening - ugh!

No comments: