I wish we could pause time, take many pictures, record everything to remember forever. That moment is now. Declan is blossoming right before our eyes. Everyday is something new and different. He is more coordinated (a little more...), he is more loving (if that is possible) and he is more connected to his brother. What surprises me so much is his burst of language. He has always been verbal and spoke words at 12 months old. But, his sentences are taking off and we laugh at what he comes up with at such a young age (2 years 4 months).Below are some of the sentences we have heard just these past days...
"I want my blue ball, Mama!"
"What is that, Mama?"
"Goal, baby!" - when he scores a goal or makes a basket
"Where my choo choo, Na Na?" (his nickname for Lincoln)
"Good night, mama, I love you."
My favorite moment happened tonight. Lincoln and Declan were playing with the car elevator. Lincoln wanted Declan to let the elevator go so it would fly down really fast. Lincoln said, "Let it go, Declan, so it go fast!" and Declan's response was - belting out at the top of his lungs - LEEEETTTT IIIITTTT GOOOOOOO!!!!! to the tune of Frozen. I laughed so hard I peed my pants (just a little :)).
Moments likes these make me so thrilled and excited to be able to communicate with my son. Our car rides home are filled with questions and statements. He can tell me what he needs which leads to fewer meltdowns. I am beyond happy to hear "I love you" at night and I can cuddle him when he says "I scared" during Bubble Guppies. Then a very small but loud voice whispers - you missed this with Lincoln. I feel cheated and sad that Lincoln had to wait a whole year longer to make these strides and that he still has to work so hard at just talking. I get mad that Lincoln's toddlerhood was harder - for him and for me. It was full of huge melt downs, few baby sign language, and a whole lot of whining and grunting. But then I remember that we each have our stories, and Lincoln's is one of overcoming a big obstacle. We openly talk about Linc's speech and that he has to work a little bit harder to get his words out, and that he needs to take breaths to think about what he wants to say, and that we are proud of him for trying new words. We are helping write both of their stories - filled with smiles, hugs, encouragement for trying new things, and Disney musicals :)

No comments:
Post a Comment