Monday, November 7, 2016

Declan is 2!!!

My baby is two. I have been letting that sink in for about a week. I always thought I would have three kids. I am one of three, Brian is one of three. But, as we near toddlerhood/preschool age and getting closer and closer to the children being out of diapers (and daycare!), we think we are a complete family. It doesn't mean that we are 100% sure, but we are sitting at about 98% sure that we are a family of four and are very happy with our family of four. To my point - Declan is my baby. He is it. His first steps were my last first steps. His first words are my last first words, and I remind myself that on a daily basis. Which probably explains why I still call Declan "my baby" and sometimes hold onto his babyhood a little longer than I should.

Declan has always been our calming force. His smile lights up a room, and he is usually very happy doing simple things such as flipping through books, completing puzzles, and building with blocks. Declan is also beginning to show his assertive side - letting us know exactly what he needs and wants at that exact moment. Let the fun of 2 begin!

A few things about Declan at this age:

Declan sleeps well. He sleeps from about 7pm to 6:30pm and still takes a decent nap in the afternoon. We read him stories before he sleeps, rocks him in his chair, and then when we put the boy down in his crib he begins screaming his head off like he is surprised each time. He screams for about 5 minutes and then goes to bed. Like clockwork.



Declan is a terrible eater. He eats only a few things and turns his nose up at most other. There is no bribing, no "eat this then that" nor waiting it out. I have accepted it, and he now takes a multi-vitamin to help balance it all out.


Declan has A LOT of words. It is so interesting to see the difference between the two boys, and this is a major one. Declan repeats anything you say and he says many words on his own. He gets his point across with words and impresses strangers (and his doctor at his check-up) with his vocabulary.



Declan is a klutz. He falls all the time. While trick or treating, Declan took many tumbles. The doctor is not concerned - guess he may be on the debate team but not the football, and I am okay with that!


Declan does not like having a dirty diaper. He will go into the bathroom to go poop in his diaper and then tell us to change him. I am hoping that diapers are almost over in the Brown household!



Declan waves and makes friends wherever we go. He is super friendly, more outgoing than Linc is/was, and enjoys smiling at people and them smiling back. He still has typical shy moments, but he is more outgoing then Linc and seems to enjoy the attention more.



Declan loves his Gigi, Pop Pop, Gaga, and Baba. He lights up when he sees Gigi at the end of the day, and he asks to call Gaga and Baba all the time.



Most of all, Declan LOVES his big brother. He has so much patience with him, loves him despite hard hugs, and they both want to touch each other all the time. Their bond is strong, and I have a feeling they will defend each other to the end for quite some time.




I could not have asked for a better two years with this guy. An almost entire year of being home with him as a baby, and now watching him learn something new everyday as a curious toddler. Declan reminds us to smile a lot, let the little things go, and that sometimes it is okay to be the quietest one in the room.

Declan Dougherty, we love you. My baby you'll be.

No comments: