Lincoln went to his first class when he was 5 weeks, 3 days old. He stayed awake the entire time - quite a feat since he is only awake about three hours a day, and I somehow timed it to the 45 minutes we would be at class. He participated in the songs by lying on his blanket and staring at the baby next to him. He endured his mother's singing and butchering the words to all of the songs. He even made a new friend, a stuffed lion, that he seemed to really connect with and enjoy (showing his love, as all month old babies would do, by sticking it in his mouth and holding onto it when I placed it in his already clenched fist). The highlight of class was when we were singing a song about popcorn. All of us were dancing around a circle and bouncing our babies in front of us. During the chorus of the song, we were to bring our babies into the middle of the circle so they could "meet each other "(aka stare at each other awkwardly), and Lincoln decided to make friends by spitting up curdled milk all over his fresh white polo. We blushed, excused ourselves, and got cleaned up before we rejoined the group. Lincoln and I later had a chat about better ways to make friends! :)
We go to a Mom and Me class at Bubbles Academy. Sounds prestigious, I know, kind of like the Hogwarts of the North :) It is a bit pricy but so nice for us (more me) to get out of the house and meet other moms. They do a mixture of songs and music along with some parent education - baby sign language, infant massage, yoga, etc. We also go to a Moms Network group run by the hospital where I delivered. It is basically a room full of moms with babies under a year old, talking about problems and solutions (if any) of motherhood. I haven't made a "best friend" there and I don't think I will, but it is a great place to bounce ideas off of others, get advice from the lactation consultant and nurse who run the group, and is another place to go where I have to wear clean clothes and brush my teeth.

No comments:
Post a Comment