Saturday, June 22, 2013

1 Week Old!

Happy 1 week, Lincoln!  I can't believe it has only been a week.  It feels like Lincoln has been in our lives forever.  He is a precious, chill, little bean and we fall in love with him more and more each day.


(Brian here) 
What did Brian learn:

Since this is my first experience with a newborn, I'm learning something new everyday. Therefore, each week my goal is to share one thing I've learned. This week, I learned that babies don't like their diapers changed. Lincoln is so calm during the day but as soon as we go to change his diaper, he cries and squirms. While that is very typical behavior, I had no idea that would be the case. I was shocked! 
Before Lincoln was born, if you all thought about which one of us would have had more "potty mishaps" with Lincoln, the unanimous choice would have been me. Shelley has nannied full time and raised 3 newborns, taught 3-4 year olds for 6 years and Kindergarten for 3. I've done nothing. I didn't even know how to change a diaper, and I'm not even that good yet! I'm not sure if it's because I know Lincoln's bits and pieces better than Shelley, but Shelley has received two golden showers from Lincoln and I have received zero!! One of them would have easily won America's Funniest Home videos too. I was changing him and had asked Shelley to supervise me. I was doing OK that night despite his squirming (new diaper under the old one, two legs in my one hand, his thing covered to prevent what I like to call his fountain effect). Shelley went down to kiss his head and with one quick squirm, his cover shook off and he peed! I don't mean little 6 day old pee; I mean full-on grown man pee that ended up a few feet away on the floor. If that wasn't enough, Shelley didn't even realize what was happening until I saw the pee drip off her hair and down her face. It was quite amazing and we both laughed for a few minutes about it. And if you're keeping score at home, it's 3-0. Shelley is winning (or losing depending how you look at it.)

Overall, fatherhood is wonderful. I was told numerous times that you can't put fatherhood into words until you have a child of your own, and everyone was so right. Our world has changed forever and it's an amazing feeling. I'm not sure how he's been so calm through all of Shelley and my poking, prodding, picture taking, laughing at his little sneezes and hiccup fits, and everything else. Every little thing is worthy of a picture or video and it's so fun. I definitely understand why people want to have a second child as soon as the first one starts to grow up so that they always have someone so small. 

Daddy likes the playmat, too!

(Shelley back)
I am laughing so hard at Brian's account of the "golden shower" event because it is so accurate and it was really funny!  I blame the air conditioning for the mishaps - Lincoln does not like to be cold!

My parents were here for the first part of the week and were able to give us breaks as needed.  My mother also showed off her excellent housekeeping skills and did the laundry, made some lunches, and helped keep the house clean.  During this time, we also took our stroller out for the first time and ventured out to Brian's favorite place - Taste of Heaven - for some cupcakes.  Lincoln did great on his adventure (3 days old!) and even let his momma eat some cake.  Brian also spent some quality man time with my father and brother and played some golf on Wednesday.  The girls (Mom, Robin, and me) took Lincoln to the zoo for the first time.  It was definitely an adventure since we were not sure how to collapse the Snap and Go stroller and spent about twenty minutes fiddling with it before I finally looked it up on YouTube (all the while standing in the street with Lincoln in his car seat - thank goodness he is patient!).

Lincoln also met Dr. Cathy for the first time this week for a check-up since she was unable to come to
the hospital to meet him.  He did really well and even showed off his awesome poop for her as we were undressing him for his weigh-in!  He remained the same weight as his discharge weight and they had his height as slightly smaller.  Dr. Cathy was happy with his coloring, his reflexes, and his body strength.  We will go back next week for a weight check-in.

On our way to meet Dr. Cathy!
After my parents left, Brian and I were left alone with Lincoln.  We spent some quality time watching hockey and movies as well as learning Lincoln's little cues as he learned more about us.  We try to get out at least once every day with him - Starbucks, walks to the lake, ice cream - and we have experimented with the Bugaboo and a wrap called the K-Tan that holds Lincoln to my chest keeping my hands free.  Lincoln loves both so far which makes the walks really relaxing and enjoyable.
Brian has to go to work next week on Monday and Tuesday so wish me luck for my first couple of days alone with Lincoln!  Hopefully he will keep his chill personality and enjoy some quality time watching The Price is Right and cleaning the house :)

First family photo - our first day home!
Lincoln on the left, Dad on the right - look so much alike!



No comments: